Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: BobS
To save night vision (never really been an issue for me) I would think a flashlight held in your hand would do better then a light right by your eyes. Less chance your pupils would close up the farther the light is from your eyes.
Hmm. You may be right about that. Anytime I've reached up to adjust my headlamp and have passed my hand in front of the light, I've wound up blinded by all the light bouncing off my hand into my eyes. However, that hands free thing really works for me, particularly when cooking or when in a low slung tent where I need both hands free.

The color of the light really does make a difference, though. Red light in particular (the military has done studies) is good at preserving night vision.

Well, there's a 40% chance of snow with temps above freezing this weekend. Gonna be slushy if it does snow. A perfect field test for my new Princeton Tec EOS. Wish me and my new EOS headlamp a happy field trial. smile
Well, it did rain on my backpacking trip this weekend, but fortunately or unfortunately, it stopped raining by the time it was dark, so no good field test feedback from me on the EOS other than it's a good bright light and that the lowest setting is plenty bright for camp chores and the like.