Originally Posted By: BobS
I don’t know that insurance can be called credit? And the hospital charges well for it’s serviced, don’t make them out as a money-strapped entity.

I get kind of tired of hearing people say things like this. Most of the cost that you are being stuck with is just being passed along from the medical suppliers. You want to know who is making all the money? Look at Johnson and Johnson, Depuy, Tyco, et al. Like with any business the hospital is charging a markup, but it ain't all that much.
Quote:

I had a heart attack, my dad and I were having lunch and I had the attack, he drove me to the hospital. They ran me into the CAT lab almost right away. It was the next day before they got my insurance info. No credit needed to have the stints put in.

You might be thinking this is splitting hairs, but yes, you did get by on credit for those services. They opened an account with your name on it and gave you net terms. You probably even have the option of paying off the bill in installments. You just chose to make a large payment with insurance funds.
BTW, that CAT lab was probably a one million + dollar room. Room, not facility. Lots of hospitals don't have the cash it takes to outright buy one of those; they take out a loan. They have to make payments on that room, so you are charged accordingly - not because the director is trying to decide just how much he can fleece the sick people. (though I am sure there most certainly are hospitals like that out there frown )