Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: BobS
Europe has been dealing with high fuel prices much longer then we have in The USA (I read someplace England imposes a tax of almost $5.00 on each gal of gasoline) look to Europe to see a glimpse of where the USA may go for its transportation needs. I don’t see horses as a major part of European travel & transportation life.

Other then mass transit, mass transit will not work for most of the USA.

Europe's been paying out the boopity for a while. You gotta remember they're paying in the metric system. So they're paying by the liter, not the gallon. It's something like 4 liters to each gallon. They pay let's say 3.50 a liter plus the tax of let's say 2.00...that means they're paying 5.50 per liter. Average gas tank let's say holds 8 gallons. That's 5.50 multiplied by 4, multiplied by 8. That's 176 bucks a tank and that's on a small car.

Like I said they've been dealing with it for a while and that's why I think they're about a decade ahead of us in bringing in alternative fuels. As you said look to Europe for where we'll be headed. I think we'll be heading back towards compact, smaller cars and more fuel efficient mid-size cars. Problem is those small vehicles work out well on European small streets in small hamlets and towns. They don't have as large a collection of large cities as America does so the equation is a bit uneven on how well compact cars will work here in America.

As for horses. Shoot...I don't see why not. Only downside is they poop. I seem to recall hearing about an island city that is within Michigan, but located inside Canada that doesn't allow cars and is horse drawn only and they just have one guy that picks up the junk on the streets.

In mine country (the Netherlands), we have loads of measures to reduce pollution and driving:
- High taxes on fuel.
- Road Taxes (heavier and dirtier = pay more)
- Plans of introducing a system that charges people per km, instead of a fixed road tax. The more you drive, the more you pay.
- High taxes on new cars.
- Higher taxes on new polluting cars and less tax on economic cars.

It also has lots of things to stimulate other form of transport.
- pretty much all bosses will either give a card for public transport for commuting or pay a max of 0.19 cent per KM.
- bicycles lanes everywhere
- bicycles parking space also everywhere
- subsidized public transport
- public transport will even stop in very small villages.
- You can buy a bicycle using your left over vacation days, without paying tax

Bicycles are much more popular here, kids, teens, adults, they all cycle and you many mother have cargo bicycles, trailers, etc. to carry the childes to school.