OK, so I took delivery of my new Princton Tec EOS headlamp last night. Thank you all for all the input on the headlamp by the way. Your input put me over the top on making the purchase. This particular EOS has had it's factory MaxBright (Luxeon I believe) LED replaced post-market with a Seoul LED.

First impressions:
1. This sucker is BRIGHT. Even on the lowest setting, it was still a pretty bright light. The Seoul LED is also supposed to be more efficient (think longer battery life) than the stock LED. The downside to the mod of course is that it nullifies the lifetime warranty. frown
2. The EOS is both heavier and bulkier than my old Petzl Tikka XP.
3. The EOS is less comfortable to wear and tends to bounce a bit more as I walk than my Tikka XP.

The heavy/bulky thing is kind of a drag. It doesn't easily fit into the little side pocket on my pack anymore, and it's definitely less comfortable to wear. Also, unlike the Tikka XP, it cannot be easily converted to red light.

However, it is very bright, can use Lithium batteries, and can withstand precipitation better than the Tikka XP. I may still use my XP in fair weather, but the EOS will be my first choice for cold or wet weather or when I need to see longer distances.

I'm headed into the backcountry for a couple of days this weekend. I'll post any impressions (of any significance) upon my return.

HJ