Originally Posted By: CJK
...fortunately the cure is simple....though somewhat 'troublesome' for some people......

The diagnosed person is simply allowed, within reason (based upon individual needs, available space, previous need of supplies...etc), to maintain a their 'cache' of 'needed' 'supplies'. The diagnosed person's redemption comes from those (often few, though sometimes frequent) situations where 'something' they 'saved' comes in indisputably handy/necessary.

Fortunately it is not a terminal disease......it may be really annoying to some.....but it's better than many other things......

You might be a diagnosee rather than a diagnoser because that solution has a couple of deficiencies.

(I have a distant relative whose house had to be burned after my father and uncle removed many dumpster loads of stuff - including the obligatory dead cat - from this lady's house. And my spouse seems to have tendencies this way so it's a real issue for me.)

The problem with that approach is that the "needed stuff" grows without bound until it fills the house, the garage, two or more storage units and spills across the property boundary into the neighbor's yard and forces purchase of another house to live in because this one is full.

It CAN be fatal when a pile of stuff falls on the pack rat. (not common but it happens - typically to an elderly packrat who doesn't have much physical strength anymore and succumbs to the wall of 1950's newspapers collapsing on them.)

If someone else lives with the pack rat there is always a war over the boundaries. It's best to fight that never-ending war to hold the boundaries when the territory at stake is small. Expect a guerilla style war.

And from my observations - the pack rat is not redeemed when she cannot actually FIND the item needed after searching for a week among the piles but instead has to go to the store and buy another. "Piles" are not an effective warehousing system for item retrieval.

And when they die, their executors hate them instead of mourn them. :-(

Don't enable this behavior if you have a choice.