Originally Posted By: wildman800
Maybe FEMA could have an Eastern, Central, and Western storage/base of operations. They could then deploy the assets from those staging bases to the affected areas.

That would not require much of an investment.

First, FEMA is not an operational, boots on the ground, type of agency. They are more of a management, oversight, tasseled loafers under desks sort of agency.

Second, they aren't the only element of the federal bureaucracy directly involved in federal emergency response. Nor do they exercise oversight, much less coordination and control, over other federal players.

Third, local and state authority is not pre-empted once the feds get involved. The state and local guys and gals still call the shots in their respective jurisdictions and areas of responsibility. For example, I hear that the Texas authorities told the Feds "um, no thanks, we'll handle it" to at least some aspects of the proposed federal response to H. Ike. It's a matter of cooperation.

FEMA works best as a resource and funding agency to underwrite local, state and federal operations. It doesn't seem to do too well when it tries to actually run operations. This was a main reason why Congress removed the National Disaster Medical System from FEMA and DHS and moved it back to DHHS.

As for FEMA setting up a system of regional "storage/base of operations," my recent experience with this was not reassuring, to say the least. I think it would be best if they simply contracted with the already robust and efficient commercial system for acquiring needed relief supplies, from the same folks who keep your grocery shelves stocked nationwide on a daily basis.

Terminal delivery logistics may require governmental assets like the NG, but could also be contracted. I trust Wal Mart and General Foods to deliver what's needed on time and on site a lot more than I trust FEMA's ability to do so.

On the other hand, I am in favor of a widely distributed system for "Strategic foodstuffs Reserves" along the lines of the National Petroleum Reserve" for national emergencies involving the food supply.

Jeff