"I'm struck by the amount of hostility being projected towards those who aren't as "prepared" as some of the people on this forum seem to think that they are."

Really?

From Newsweek [http://www.newsweek.com/id/159669?GT1=43002]
"On hard-hit Galveston Island, some 20,000 people out of a total population of 57,000 ignored or were unable to comply with evacuation orders. Across Texas and Louisiana as a whole, about 100,000 stayed behind in coastal areas, compared to more than 2 million who sought shelter inland. For those who remained, the aftermath has been dismal—block after block of destroyed houses; no power, water or food supplies; and rank refuse piled up everywhere."

PREPARED??? Are you kidding? These people aren't even capable of rational thinking! Maybe they should erect a huge sign in what is left of Galveston that says "Complacency Kills".

Okay, let's say that 25% of those who didn't leave were either quadraplegics whose caregivers bolted in panic, or were just too poor to leave. That leaves FIFTEEN THOUSAND people on Galveston Island ALONE who figured if it got too bad, all they had to do was scream for help on their cell phones.

1. Most of these people had been through hurricanes before, and knew their power.
2. Most of these people figured that if they had survived all previous hurricanes, they would certainly survive this one.
3. Most of these people could have left, but chose not to.
4. Most of these people apparently figured that the laws of physics don't apply to them
5. If any of them had useful supplies, most of them figured they would still be sitting in the house, high and dry. How high is 'high' in Galveston? Ten feet of fill?
6. Most of these people apparently couldn't figure out what the phrase 'GET OUT!' means.
7. Did any of these people have a semi-rational plan?
8. How many bodies were washed out to sea and will never be found?

These are the same kind of people who read about babies drowned in bathtubs, then do the same. They have friends who drove drunk and died, and they still do the same. They've been told since childhood not to mix electricity and water, and they get fried. The crime rate is horrendous, and some people still don't lock their doors. Child molesters are everywhere, but lots of people don't know where their young children are much of the day.

So, tell me, John, is there some reason that I'm missing as to WHY I should NOT think these people are incredibly stupid? People with sense don't make the news much, do they?