I'm struck by the amount of hostility being projected towards those who aren't as "prepared" as some of the people on this forum seem to think that they are.

Can't help but wonder if the hostility, misquotes, quotes out of context, etc., isn't simply a reflection back onto the people who think that things like hurricanes are nature's way of cleaning the gene pool, that folks who go to places like Starbucks aren't as smart as those who frequent the local army surplus store, etc.

Does the inability of some people to pre-plan affect your own plans? If so, how and why is that?

Why such anger towards people who according to some I've read here, will be dead soon anyway due to their own stupidity?

I'm reminded of a scene in a great movie, "Cool Hand Luke" in which one of the characters, played by Ralph Waite, is scammed by some of the other prisoners and then punished by the guards, Luke, brilliantly portrayed by Paul Newman, wonders why those being imprisoned must treat one of their own with the same hostility as the guards do, claiming that they, the guards didn't need any help to be vicious towards other human beings. Are we really so callous towards others that when asked to give some practical advice we prefer to ridicule and scoff at the plight of our fellow human beings? Does the hurricane need our help?

John E

"No man is an island, entire of itself
every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main...
any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind
and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls
it tolls for thee."

John Dunne

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen