I don't understand the overall hostility to the original post. They're looking for a human interest story. I don't sense any negative agenda. The gist of it is:

"Were looking for unique recipes from actual hurricane victims who are cooking (or just stirring together) unexpectedly delicious concoctions in the face of extreme circumstances."

Electricity is off. Doesn't say you can't have a gas BBQ, Coleman stove, wood stove or fondue set.

- - - - -

Martin upped the ante, though, with "No electric, no sterno, no camp stove."

That makes it a bit more interesting. As a rule, an apartment dweller is highly dependent on the grid, and is unlikely to start "unofficial renovations" to harvest wood from the walls.

Depending on the situation, they may be able to pool resources with other tenants or people in the neighbourhood. A couple of gas barbecues can help out a lot of people.

I agree that a blackout would be a very poor time to start building experimental stoves using volatile fuels.

Other than that, it's cold food. I do a lot of crude meals when camping, usually cold beans from a can with hot sauce and crackers. Barbaric, I know, but it keeps me going. A cup of hot tea (or a hot toddy) certainly adds a lot to a rough meal though.