Thanks guys.

Cold weather gear- covered. They dress for the weather, and adding clothing would make these quite a bit bigger. That, and I made a deal with my folks when I was 14- they don't give me clothes for the holidays, and I won't retaliate. :P

Scrapers and the like- covered. Tire chains for a Ranger don't do much, and for my mother's Metro it would be probably be counter productive. :P

Work gloves and hot hands, good idea.

I was thinking about filter bottle, but there is a cost issue. There are also questions about filters being left in a car at 40 below- most of them really don't like it. If I was to do something like that, I'd probably go with one of the McNetts.

I should point out the plan. My mother drives 14 miles from my folks house to the hospital, where she is the librarian and PR person, along with being part of their emergency committee. My dad drives 35 miles to where he works, which is about 3 miles from his brother's place or four from my brother's place. So these aren't three days packs, these are off the road on the side of the interstate kind of kits with the option of walking <15 miles to a known place to hole up.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.