ten bucks, i'm a scrounger, first of all i'd check the dumpster to see if there was anything i could use. i'd be looking for shelter-plastic bags filled with dry trash that can be dumped back in the dumpster-cordage-tape-maybe a sturdy box to make a pack with-"if there are a number of boxes i'd take the tape off of them to make straps for my box pack- maybe some used coffee filters for straining water before i added bleach that i would buy at the store-i'd dump most of the bleach and store what i needed in a cheap candy container-and use the bottle for water-you might get lucky scrounging the candy container-a little bleach will clean it right up-same for the coffee filter- i'd scrounge or buy paper "paper from the dumpster" and pencil so i could make a map from locals that come into the store-most people will be glad to help when you ask "duh whats over there" i'd want to buy a small round container "candy" with a lid to make my improvised compass-i'd buy a roll of toilet paper. you can roll a bit up around two fingers and stuff the top half back into the roll done right you can heat up a can of beans-i'd buy 1 can of pintos and eat them first day and then i've got my cooking pot-one thing i'd have to buy for myself would be some pepper or scrounge a few packs at the food service station in the store-7-11's have a nice condiment selection-it would be worth spending 99 cents on what ever they have that tastes good just to have some "make life easy" goodies-
matches i'd buy or grab a couple of packs at the checkout counter-
here is my list sounds kinda crazy but with my scrounging thats what i'd buy if i could'nt scrounge a large plastic bag out of the trash i'd buy or better still talk the clerk into selling me one of the heavy duty ones that they use in the store-
i wouldn't want to boil my water so i suppose bleach would be the best water treatment-
i have a modified wallet that i use for my personal kit and always have water treatment on my person-"learned my lesson by drinking water from the wekiva river in fla and was sick for three days. i drank water for years from the rivers and streams but learned my lesson back in 1977-
thats when i started with my first kit-my kit started with water treatment and a taylor usanite compass i still use the taylor-
so to end my rant here is what i would buy-i feel confident that grub wouldn't be a problem so basically its water, shelter, fire, and improvised compass
10 bucks will buy that i'm just guessing on 7-11 prices but here it is
bleach 2.00
paper 1.00
pencil .25
knife-3.00
candy .69
candy .69
toliet paper1.00
snack for condiments .99
delete toliet paper and snack if plastic bags are bought