Buying something because it has the Red Cross logo is like buying a tactical fighting knife. The seasoned street fighter with a kitchen knife from the Dollar Store really doesn't care, and the elements won't either.

First buy a REAL woolsurplus blacket. This is also your nifty nylon Red Cross pack.You are going to wrap evdrything up in it and tie the bundle with 100' of that dryer your dad bought your mom years ago.

If you want a radio and flashlight, it makes sense to use COMMON batteries.

Water,Water everywhere and not a drop to drink. There's a homeless man locally who scrounged a 2.5 gallon water jug. He politetly buys food from his recycling efforts and the food servers don't mind him filling up from the water dispensor.
I'm not at that point, but water is overhyped and oversold, even in the two small packets and EMPTY jug.Tap into cheaper sources.

Work gloves- if you don't have a pair now I want to see your tough hands.

Food- What was that Elven cake in LOTR that tasted wonderfull always and kept Hobbits on the march? For little guys who ate 6 times a day, smoked pipes and drank beer old JRR was really pushing his Yorkshire Pudding there. You can get more variety and equal shelf life with a little planning.

Quality- for $50 RETAIL This kit is going to have bulk buy, cheap kit. There is a BIG difference between cheap and inexpensive ( see knife above.)

I would hold my two index fingers up in a + on this one, and they aren't red!

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (09/18/08 08:26 PM)