> But mainly, occupations or trades I can learn to be of assistance.

I think there are too many variables. There's no way to know where in the US a disaster will occur and what, if any trades will be useful. I gave similar consideration on how to help during the weeks after the September 11 attacks; at my age and condition I decided on becoming a ham radio operator. My wife and I have joined some local clubs that volunteer for emergencies, and we've become integrated into the first responder community here.

I hadn't thought of it at all, but being _known_ is very important to first responders. We've worked with them in training and in volunteering for fund raising events (bike-thons, walk-athons, and such for the American [insert disease/disability here] Association to raise money for their special interests), and we work with other hams who also become known to first responders. Once you're known, the people who 'manage' disasters have a handle on what your strengths and weaknesses are and can judge when and where to throw you into the mess. Unknowns who show up out of the blue and want to help are called cowboys, and nobody knows what to do with them. They don't know what needs to be done, have to be micromanaged, and generally are more trouble than they're worth. Even if you're an expert, nobody knows that, and you're lumped in with the unknowns.

If you want to be engaged in trades and be known in your community as a reliable responder, volunteer now for Habitats for Humanity, Burners Without Borders, or other such work groups that send people out to rebuild and repair damage caused by natural disasters. If you have no skills now, working with a group now will start you on your way.

You really are needed, by the way. Please do find a group or two you're interested in and volunteer now.