Out at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation (where I worked for a while; an area roughly the size of Rhode Island), they are still finding radioactive waste in places they had no idea about from the 40s and 50s. We dug up one vitreous clay line that wasn't on any drawings anywhere, and it was so hot it pegged the needle on all scales. We lost the trackhoe because they said it would be cheaper to replace it than to try and decon it. That was the first time I ever saw a Health Physics technician run from a dig.

Yucca Mountain is supposed to be our "National Repository", some day, but even though it is located in a "mostly useless for anything else" area, the enviros and the politicos have still got that place tied up legally, and so all the Nuke plants are holding their waste on site in temporary containers until we decide what to do with it. Suspending it in glass inside of stainless steel containers that are then planted in a big concrete block seems to be the best way to store it indefinitely. The prototype plant for that process is still being built, and the cost is going to be over $10 billion just for the prototype, with no certainty that the main plant will ever be constructed. The underground tank storage being used now is not so good they've discovered, and it's cost us billions to try and remedy that problem and we're nowhere near done yet.

I am a big proponent of using Nuclear energy. I have no good suggestions on what to do with the waste at this time, but it will be around for quite a while, so I am sure someone will come up with a good idea, eventually. Just realize that the cost of building and running a nuclear plant is considerable. It is not anywhere near being the cheapest source of energy available to us yet.