Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

Roofing.-
They've done what I wanted them to do. The new Florida Roofing code does not allow you to just remove and replace the tar paper and shingles. You HAVE to replace all of the plywood. The best part of that is including in replacing the plywood they have to not only nail with these really freakishly devastating looking nails, but they have to use epoxy to glue the boards down and add more hurricane strapping. We did it at the old house and it dropped our insurance by 15% a year.
If you don't have a Post-2004 Code roof...get up in your attic and where the plywood meets the 2x4's just use a bead of liquid nails or loctite. I did that along the front of the house where we'd get the most wind and I feel much happier.

While i agree with most of what you have listed here is a problem mandating substantial retrofit upgrades for building codes. Friends of mine just received a quote to re-roof the 40+ year old house that they live in and it was $50K. Most of the cost was labor to rip off the existing 3/4 plank roof that is there now and upgrading the structure to current code. I have been in the attic of this house and it is a very well made roof, i would not think twice about staying under that roof during a storm. Now they are seriously considering having a "weekend" roof put on. As in no building permits at all, of course this would only save them $45K.

And i have seen this often back when i had a hardware store, when the local building enforcement establishment is expensive or difficult to deal with people cheat. And when people don't get permits and have work done the workers tend to skimp and not do a very good job because it's not going to be inspected. So by raising the bar have you truly made things safer?

Now having said all of this if i was building a house the roof would be laid with 3/4 water resistant subfloor ply using glue and the new evil looking roof deck nails. 30# felt on top of that with smooth shingles or a metal roof. I don't want to touch anything on the roof for at least twenty years.