Originally Posted By: Susan

A local family is trying to reach their stubborn grandparents who refused to leave Galveston. The couple have a satellite phone, but there's no answer, and no one has heard from them. How do you suppose that is going to turn out?

Maybe America needs some REAL reality shows: dead bodies, dead babies, burned corpses, etc. Wishful thinking just isn't doing the job, is it?

SBRaider: if you have more, and can hold onto it (from whatever), you'll be better off if staying is your plan. It's just that sometimes, staying is no plan at all.

Sue

Gotta agree with you there, and in particular for a hurricane, which does not appear "suddenly".

Let me tell ya, the last time we had a flood warning (definite flooding), there were 12 hours to "go" for the folks on the river.

They cleared out EVERYTHING - I mean they pulled the outlets out of the walls, tore out the sheetrock and insulation on the first floors, removed the windows from the frames and took the doors off the hinges, pulled the kitchen cabinets out and yanked the circuit breaker panel from the basement.

The flood waters came and they were in a hotel 100 miles away with a truck parked outside with their stuff.

The flood waters went down, they came back, blew super-heated air through the house for 4 days, put up new insulation, sheetrocked, painted, put the furniture back, opened a beer and watched TV while their neighbors were still shoveling mud out of their living rooms.

My point is that the stakes are known, there's no surprises at all with a hurricane or flood It's not like fire, it's not even like an earthquake. You get a warning, a long warning. You ignore it at your own risk.