It was a real eye opener when I started working on the BOBs for winter prep. I asked my DW to check her BOB and she could barely lift her pack and mentioned she didn't think she could carry it far. To preface this fact...she is a marathon runner that walks about 2 miles/day to commute to work with about an 8 lbs EDC pack. I think her BOB weighed about 40 lbs.

My current goal is trying to lighten up the DW's BOB and my own. I've started listening to Practical Backpacking and Backpacking light podcasts to get ideas. It is truly incredible to listen to the interviews of a few individuals that "yo-yo" thru hike the AT, the PCT and even the CDT anywhere from 3000 miles to 7000 miles on a total weight of 8 lbs (or less) of gear (including food and water!). These thru hikers expand their packs to about 13 lbs for winter camping through colorado or even the sierras. I find this incredible.

Of course I won't be getting that low but it is inspiring enough to go through the BOBs and find priorities. In the past I have made the DWs BOB a virtual clone of my own so if we ever got separated she would have the essentials. I still like this goal but I will have to minimize items. I have been looking at the thru-hiker's gear lists to get ideas. My goal is to cut the DW's BOB in half and mine to two thirds the current weight without compromising the priorities of thermoregulation, water generation and medical supplies.