Yesterday afternoon I posted and then left for nearby Chatsworth.I was meeting another arcaheologist to look over an old excavation of a 19th century chinese labour campsite.
It is near the tunnel and I was apparently a few meters from discovering 'Shorty' Shea's remains, one of Charlie Manson's victims. A short walk over the tunnel, and you are in L.A. county viewing 'Stoney Point' famous movie location for countless shoots.
It was no film stunt as We watched the metro and a Santa Fe Frieght train collide.

I grabbed my car first aid kit, two blankets and ran down to the wreck. I helped a few people from the third car, my blankets covered two beyond help and my first aid kit was soon an empty nylon bag.
I watched Sherriff Deputy Eber, a passenger who immediately called in on his service radio helping others. He eventually collapsed with a broken clavical,sternum, ribs,hand and punctured leg wound.
I was soon pulled back as the emergency personel arrived in force. I gave my information and left.

The latest information is the Metro engineer went through the stop light beore the passing corridor on the horshoe turn. It also has been learned he was TEXT MESSAGING with some local train enthusiast kids who watch trains daily just before the collision and may have been distracted.

A few lessons I gathered for train travelors. Like an over the wing seat, the REARMOST compartment is the safest. The engine couldn't even be seen, telescoping back inside the first car and flipping on it's side.
The two deck units were slowly entered, and by enter I mean equipment to slowly dismantle with power tools, hand tools and by hand. Passengers in the upper decks were extricated first. Those below; injured, merely trapped or deceased WAITED.
People suffered multiple fractures, punctured lungs and facial trauma from being hurled from the impact. Cellphones were seen scattered everywhere. Again, Deputy Eber had his service radio holstered and secure.

Just a few observations. Now the inevitable connections as the dead and injured are found to be friends or relatives of people you know somehow.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (09/14/08 01:10 AM)