I recently had a 'check out' moment.

Long story short, while doing my 3rd Ironman triathlon in April I raced myself into kidney failure and liver failure. All the muscles in my legs and ribcage cramped up. My lungs and heart cramped up. During all this, I refused to stop racing and refused all treatment on the course. This lasted for about six hours. The only thought in my head was, "Finish, never quit."

Consequently I didn't finish and when I made it to the hospital they told my wife, I would probably be dead in five or six hours. It turns out I have a condition that I did not know about with my kidneys and this exertion put it over the line.

I don't know how or when I will check out. I am still in recovery and have a 20% of dying on any hard work out I do to this day(and this is four months later). This has obviously caused my wife, family and I to have some very pointed dialogue about what I do for fun.

I'd like to think I will live a long, life with lots of happiness and adventure with my wife and son, plus one on the way. If I don't I have a well stocked spiritual bank account.