Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Timothy Treadwell had a near cult following localy.I talked with Tim, his people more than once. Even with my 'colourfull' reputation and opinions, I was 'on the outs' because I didn't buy into their anthropomorphising, sunday cartoon view of alpha predators. Tim paid the ultimate price, and then to top it off got his girlfriend killed in the bargain. His local followers are still lost souls trying to reeasmmble their world view.

Treadwell was nuts, and I would never even think about doing what he did. As a matter of fact, the number one reason why I bought a shotgun was to protect myself from animals like his bear buddies.

But having said that, Treadwell was killed at the end of 13 seasons with those bears. 13 seasons is a hell of a long time to just be lucky. I have to think if it was even half as dangerous as people say it is, he should have been killed sooner.

And as for his girlfriend, she was a grown woman with a mind of her own. To talk as though women can't think for themselves is sexist.

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
How many people were thinking about doing similar desert purges just because he did?

I've been thinking about a wilderness journey for years. It's not an idea I got from anyone else, even though a lot of other people share the same idea. I think there's just something inside our souls that wants it.

But there's no way I'm going to the desert. I've been there, and it sucks. My journey is going to involve forests and abundant water sources.