I was talking with my grandma and I was telling her how my family was trying to go "green" and we were doing our part ect... Talked about how we did some canning this summer and how we were prepared should a situation occur. In general talking about some things my wife and I did this summer and her responce surprised me.

She responded after a while by saying " I dont understand why you are so excited about that. We called that life when I was growing up." She went on to tell me stuff that I guess I already new. She talked about turning off every electical appliance in the house after 9 pm, hanging out clothes and putting up food for the winter. She talked about having a cache out by the corrals for bad times (packed in bear fat/lard to prevent rust for metal items). She actually gave me a lot of good ideas - stuff that she has known and done for YEARS, that would save thousands of dollars each year.

There is something to be said for history and experience. She had a great teacher - The Great Depression! I am glad that I called her.