Originally Posted By: TheSock
Lono here are myy preferred survival knives features (swiss army champ xlt)
Can you really not think of any circumstances one of these would be useful?

<snip>

For an evacuation walk out of Washington DC, I'll admit the corkscrew would be great. For the rest, not so much.

Once again, my point wasn't that I don't carry a knife - I do, in my BOB, in my personal version of a Go Kit. Knives are useful, eventually. I also carry a knife on every hike, sometimes several times a week, and you can count on one hand the number of times I've pulled the knife from my pocket in the past year, but I do use a knife. In a Go Kit, leaving urban Washington DC, I really couldn't see myself making use of most of your list of edge tools, it would just weigh you or me down. Yes, I might miss having your Bit Torx 8 and wire cutters to take over the elevator and save a pregnant woman who is on the same walk to life, narrowly averting delivering a breach in a 6x6 space. But that won't happen so much. If I'm leaving DC with my Go Kit, I'm probably on foot, maybe on public transport, and can't be stopped for anything except water, food, and bedding down for the night. I'm totally reactive, not in control of the situation. Someone has pointed to some actual circumstances where a knife would be useful, such as cutting someone out of a car - that's a a good point, I'd like to save someone from their car accident. But in the end, if I'm leaving DC with just my Go Kit, I'm not very prepared to come to the assistance of others, I may need to stand in the street and yell "does anyone have a knife?"

Maybe having a multitool will help me in alot of situations, I'll leave it in the Go Kit just like I leave mine in a BOB day to day. But having a knife won't make much difference. Hey, that will make a great epitath...

My final point on the Go Kit (really) - I doubt someone left out a knife because it could become a weapon in certain contexts, or to be politically correct. If I tell most people they need a knife, they'll grab cutlery from their kitchen. If they buy a knife at a store they don't research it online the way people on equipped do, and end up buying some Kabar or Multitool. They'll buy a Victornix SAK, which costs $12.95 at Target, and stick it in their Go Kit. They won't keep it in their pocket, because they live in DC, the land of metal detectors and suspicious security staff. And you're right, if its on the list it will make great sales for Victornix. But having all those knives in all those Go Kits wouldn't make much difference to their survival. The folks who made up the list of items for the Go Kits couldn't think up enough vital reasons to include a knife during an evactuation from DC.