Originally Posted By: Rodion
In short? No. I might stop by a shelter to see if I can help, but it'll just be a temporary stop on the way to my parents' house in central country. As long as I have a choice, I prefer people not go through my stuff.

That is your choice and perfectly within your rights. As a "prepared" person, from a safety and sanitation viewpoint you are more likely safer outside of a shelter that in one if you have your own supplies and adequate shelter (and if you have all of these things, it is probably better to give the shelter space to someone that isn't prepared).

Quote:
For the last time, shelters aren't "safe" in terms of weapons! They still have scissors! Hacksaws and screwdrivers are used to off people in prison! And you're destroying EMT shears with regular cutting chores! Aaaaargh!

Just about anything can be used as a weapon if enough time and effort is put into it, or god forbid you just use your own bloody bare hands to do the job. The most dangerous weapon is a mind prepared to do violence, and there is no practical way of disarming people of that. That doesn't mean that a shelter isn't within its rights to restrict what IT sees as unreasonable safety risks. WE know we are responsible persons that would not use these tools in irresponsible ways, but a shelter has no practical way of proving that or ensuring that your tools would fall into irresponsible hands. It is a reasonable request in my opinion and one that you are free to choose or not. As far as the shears...I doubt you would ruin them in the "short term", and if so, you could bring a sharpener if it was a major concern.

Quote:
P.S. That cheese wire looks like it came right out of a Godfather murder scene.

Really? Then what about these?

Re,

C.Rowe