Originally Posted By: Jared
I would find a blade to be one of the essential items necessary for a emergency kit. Is this an oversight, or do they view a knife as a liability?

Allow me a couple of thoughts on this topic. Try to keep them short.

1. Let me posit that most of the folks who put this list together probably neither carry nor own a pocket knife or multi-tool. Or at least the folks in senior management who had the final sign off on this list. Because you can't take knives into most federal buildings with controlled access I think that such things are outside the relm of their daily experience. Therefore they fail to grasp the utility of Leatherman or SAK.

2. I agree with those who think that the operators of shelters want to increase their control (and reduce their liability) by eliminating the possibilities of tools becoming weapons. Not sure I disagree but frankly a can of soda can make a pretty good dent in someone's noggin. A shelter that's well run will be unlikely to have violent episodes. A poorly stocked and supervised one will produce situations where knives could be a big problem. So one mitigates the effects of violence that a bad shelter experience risks by eliminating potential weapons.

3. But if you desire is to get out of DC (or wherever) having a knife, even a small SAK, is to me a necessity. I take AMTRAK to DC 5-10 times a month from PA. Since my job takes me to govt. buildings I can't carry even a penknife. And that freaks me out. I carry a 24 hour bag so if I get stuck on public transport I at least will be able to take care of myself in a crisis or get out of town enough to avoid man-made problems. I do carry a knock-off of the BCB credit card tool that has a small cutting edge but it's no replacement for a Mora or a KISS folder.

Quick story. I recently worked with a govt. organization that was soliciting an outside contractor to support their emergency preparedness office. During the bidders' oral presentations to the govt. I would ask each group how many had their own personal 72-hour kits at home or in the car. Take a guess as to the percentage of positive responses. Let's just say it wasn't pretty.