Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
I think, since nobody has mentioned metal detectors or strip searches , SOP in this situation is to slip your multi tool, pocket knife or Battlemistress into this nifty clothing feature- it's called a pocket and heed that greatly under appreciated Nimrod Elmer Fudd's very sage advise while being foil to Bugs and Daffy, " Be wery wery quiet."

Now Chris, don't go getting all rational on us.

As I've said before, I've never seen anyone searched at or as a condition of admission to a Red Cross shelter, or any other shelter, unless their own individual behavior brought them to the attention of the local police standing by at the shelter.

The rules, like knives themselves, are merely tools available when needed for shelter managers in dealing with hordes of highly stressed-out people of various socio-economic and cultural backgrounds suddenly crowded together. Be reasonable, be discreet, avoid getting into altercations or other disruptive behavior, and no one is going to bother you.

As far as the Red Cross is concerned, sheltering is a voluntary activity. If you have a problem with the rules, you are free to leave. (The local authorities may have different ideas, however. But that's their,and not the Red Cross's, doing.)

If anyone has a different actual experience, I'd certainly like to hear about it.

Jeff