Originally Posted By: Lono

All useful situations in a Red Cross shelter - and if you're put to work opening boxes, helping in First Aid, or general maintenance I bet they give you a box cutters or other appropriate tools. I think the point of the Red Cross ban is focussed on those who are sheltered, keeping them out of their hands and reducing the incidence of injury through short tempers and long hours.

But I think your list gets a little hypothetical near the end - doubtful they'd want someone without an electrician's license splicing wires in a shelter, and I think they'd be happy to poke a hole in a water bottle for you if it helps you out. The one I can't say on is whether you're encouraged to set up makeshift curtains/privacy walls, that cuts both ways, both for privacy and safety of shelter occupants.

mmmK

They aren't going to allow you to carry a pocket knife but you think they are going to provide you box knives, EMT shears, scissors, etc as needed. I guess a brief mental evaluation will be performed in the event that staff considers getting a box cutter out of the weapons locker. All of those items that get loaned out would have to be inventoried, checked in/out or there would be no point in stopping folks at the door with them.

You assume the wires that Blast is splicing are for some official purpose and not just rigging his radio to run off different batteries, fixing headphones or the power cord on his cell phone.

You're already an refugee & you're sure they are going to have someone available to poke a hole in Blast's DD's water bottle. This means the staff is allowed sharps and they have a LOT of time on their hands.

Finally Blast's curtains are shot down because they're a safety concern. They're a safety concern around a temporary infirmary or toilet area? You seem to be able to think up scenarios where the curtains are a problem but no scenarios where they are beneficial.

You seem to be working very hard to debunk each of Blast's points while doing no work to figure out the other point of view.

This thread seems to be going down the road where someone asks "So why do you [b]need a car?". Twenty people then spend the next week trying to explain why we need cars only to have each point systematically shot down because we have feet, bicycles, buses, trains, plains, etc.[/b]

Blast did as good a job as I can imagine of trying to break it down.

Sorry, this post was a bit sarcastic. I couldn't help it. wink