Originally Posted By: Lono
snip...
I'm mentally wandering around DC now, and finding not alot to cut or slice. I have a sandwich or meat so far, if someone gave them to me, but the knife is actually not *necessary* to eat those. And for purposes of the mental exercise, gutting and cleaning a deer or other animal is not very common in DC, at least among the urban population of folks who don't already eat rats and squirrels every day. And amateur tracheotomies in the service of dying pedestrians are off the table as well. There's some argument that having a knife can aid in personal protection. Help me out a little here, I'm not being imaginative enough. I don't EDC a knife, so I'm missing out on a level of ingenuity that a DC person will employ after an emergency.

This is going to come off as sarcastic but please don't take it that way.

Why aren't you mentally preparing to shelter in place -or- load up your belonging and evacuate -or- do some expedient repairs on your car/shoes/backpack/home/etc?

I use a pocket knife just about every day. Maybe I could carry scissors, screwdriver(s), a file and several other implements instead but a knife is much handier.

$.02 & YMMV