Y'know, I am thinking that the government probably ain't the best provider of security in a crisis situation. Were I to be part of a community I felt comfortable with, I wouldn't mind donating a bit towards establishing a shelter of our own. I am quite certain that a well organized and intelligent group of private citizens with more immediate and localized common interests would be well capable of coming up with a much better shelter system given time than could any government agency I've ever dealt with.

People have gotten too used to letting big government take care of them. We've gotten lazy and greedy, and unless we are all gonna build our Burt Gummer fortresses where we can hermitage away from the rest of society, I gotta think at some point responsible men and women are gonna have to step up and take matters into their own hands, or else expect to get fleeced and put out into the cold on a regular basis, or maybe to the slaughterhouse.

Or maybe I am just being naive to think that people these days are willing to invest in a little common good.

One thing's for certain, the federal and often the state governments have a different agenda than protecting the interests of the common man, or small community. They couldn't care less, and they demonstrated such for the past 50 years with their ridiculous policy making.

If you want to survive, you'd best not rely on some bureaucrat to decide how you are going to, or even if you get to. That is just too close to the Commandant at Auschwitz deciding who goes to the shower and who gets to spend another day hungry for me.