I rented this DVD the other day called "Game Over: Kasparov and the Machine" about his famous chess match against Deep Blue. I'm not a chess expert, so his argument that a computer could not make the move it did in game two means nothing to me. For all I know about chess (which isn't much) maybe it could have.

But what I do understand, and find very suspicious, is that the IBM team kept Deep Blue locked away in another room for the entire match. Why? What exactly were they hiding?

Having Kasparov and Deep Blue on the same stage together while they played against each other would have been even better publicity for IBM. I'm sure they know that, and that's exactly what they would have done, if they had been running a legitimate contest.

But it wasn't a legitimate contest, in my opinion. I think what they were really hiding in that room was a team of grandmasters who collectively decided what moves should be played, and IBM lied to the world by telling us it had been a computer. Not just a computer, but an IBM computer.

I don't care about Kasparov. If he really did lose that match to a computer, it doesn't bother me one way or the other. But I don't think he did. I think it was all a hoax.