Originally Posted By: Grouch

What if you take another bucket (same size) and slide it into the bucket containing the wet clothes and then turn it upside down and stand/sit on it? It seems like that would expel a good deal of water with practically no effort.

Hadn't thought of that but it is an interesting idea. It would probably work at least as well as twisting by hand.

I'm thinking perhaps a bucket with holes drilled would allow it to drain more easily. The sequence might be to dump the washed clothes and wash water into the strainer bucket which is sitting where it can drain. Then the wash bucket, the one without the holes would be slipped inside and pressure applied by hand. Then the wet clothes would go back into the wash bucket and the drain bucket slipped inside. This is then inverted and would make a good seat while I work the second load in another wash bucket.

Those buckets are available for free at restaurants and job sites if you have connections. Various food products, drywall plaster and paint come in them. They also sell new ones at hardware and paint stores for about 5$ a pop. I might experiment on one and see if whole or drilled is better.