I really like my Princeton Tec EOS headlamp. Amazingly bright and very good battery life. The brightness levels range from able to see a long distance to just bright enough to find stuff inside the tent. I mostly use the middle level outside and the low level inside the tent. I pretty much save the bright level as a spotlight for troop skits (its that bright).

The EOS uses a ratcheting action to set the light angle. That's important to me. My daughter used to use a PT Aurora, but a few years back she was using it during a Girl Scout campout and the friction screw loosened, giving her a floppy headlamp for the entire weekend - until we could tighten it with a tiny screwdriver. Not acceptable. She uses an EOS now, as do all the members of my family.

As you'll see, others really like the Petzl Tikka XP too.

Flashlightreviews.com really liked them both, giving the EOS 5 stars and the Tikka XP 4.5 stars. The lower rating is because the Tikka XP is not regulated. They also rated the Princeton Tec Apex with 5 stars, but that is bigger with a battery pack that rides at the back of the head - not my preference.

If it matters to you, the EOS can use lithium batteries, but the Tikka XP cannot.

Ken K.