I was assigned to the caretaker crew of two old 255' Lake class cutters tied up @ TRACEN Alameda, Government Island. I'm on the midwatch, it's 0200 and I'm drinking coffee and listening to KPFA and MUSIC FROM THE HEARTS OF SPACE. Berthed just aft of the cutters was a fishing trawler seized for smuggling pot.

I was just starting my rounds when I saw a small boat come alongside the trawler and three guys board her. I got on the phone and yelled "3 intruders on the trawler. I need HELP!" The sandcrab, just out of Yoeman A school girl on watch informed me nobody could possibly slip past the gate guards at the causeway entrance.I yelled an expletive and hung up, grabbed a fireaxe and raced down the gangplank and toward the trawler. The 3 figures saw me and fled.

I'm walking back and our 'base security' decided I had 'abandoned my post' and tried to sieze my Detex clock and logbook. I'm ordering this seaman deuce to back off and he's refusing. FINALLY, an hour later the newly commisioned ensign strolls over and explains he was "napping when the call came in."

I'm brought up on charges by the CPO of the base security detail, I'm bringing charges on the SA and suddenly get called into the JAG's office. And there are 3 CGI ( Coast Guard Intelligence) who said I 'scared the blankety- blank' out of them running down the pier with that axe overhead. The base CO took early retirement, the ensign went to the french Frigate Shoals and the SA given real sea duty.

The whole base was under investigation for theft and several security breaches. That was during the unhappy, post Vietnam period. But my point is, that was 'The world's largest Coast Guard' and you cannot depend on other's watchfullness -ever. Get some good locks, and few people have enough skill to sail a boat out of a marina. Pull a sparkpug or rotor off the engine.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (08/27/08 08:47 PM)