"I always wonder why Vet amoxicillin is still bubblegum flavored. How about making it say, Tuna flavored? I'd bet my cats would fight less."

Why do you THINK it's bubblegum flavored? Yep, it's because it's a human product. Many/most of those animal meds are just relabeled human meds, probably produced in the same factory, just labeled differently. The rip-off pharmaceutical companies probably live in fear that people will figure that out.

Talking to your own doctor about antibiotics and such is a far better idea than guessing. He/She knows what would be a good broad-spectrum antibiotic for a wide range of problems. There are quite a few bacteria-specific ABs out there, and if you're using the wrong one, you're wasting what you've got. Just be prepared to pay for it out of your own pocket, as your insurance probably won't, and the same for regularly-used prescription drugs. I talked to my Mom's doctor about this, and she suggested that she write an extra prescription for each of her meds, we buy them without involving the insurance co. She would rotate her supply and always place an order for her renewal prescriptions at the usual time. This enabled her to have an extra 30-day supply of fresh meds.

And re: medicine expiration dates, here is an interesting article:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/460159

Sue