And if so, how do you carry it?

A bit of background: my job in the summer is primarily outdoors, and I carry a combination BOB/work bag that has enough stuff in it to stay a night fairly comfortably if need be and also a few things I use pretty regularly for work, like a compass, etc. I've also been carrying a Cold Steel Rifleman's 'hawk because it does come in handy, but I haven't found a satisfactory way of carrying it.

The bag is a County Comm "claymore" bag that is shoulder slung, and has a smaller "admin" type pouch malice clipped to the face of it. When I do carry my tomahawk, I've been just shoving the handle down between the outside pouch and main bag between the clips, but that's not really a great solution. The blade is exposed and the lower blade point rubs and is starting to wear on the bag.

I guess I'm just hunting for opinions...if you carry one regularly, how do you do it? Do you not carry one regularly because you used to but it became more of a pain than it was worth? Did you start packing an alternative instead? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.