Apple documentation is very biased, they are going to make lithuim ion look best since thats what they use.
The average consumer grade lithium ion MTBF for cycles is 300. NiMH and NiCad are 500-1000. They do make Lithium ION that have higher cycle counts but those are more $ than any of us can afford. likewise there are NiMH that never make it to 100 cycles (energizer 2500mAH on their crappy 15 minute charegrs for example).
Cycles are a full charge to a full discharge, if you run the battery down only half way and charge it back up then thats only 1/2 a cycle.
Remember that Lithuim ion also loses 10-20% of its capacity per year no matter if its used or not. Now before you say my 4 year old laptop has a lithuim ion battery and it still works, battery life is determined when the max charge is aroun 80% of new so that battery may still take a charge and last a couple hours but at 80% its considered old by industry standards.
Rememeber one battery isn't the best for everything. Lithium ion has the best power to weight ratio, but is also the most expensive and has the shortest lifespan. the old NiCad is best for something that is always on a small trickle charge like those solar yard lights since it is the most tolerant of overcharging.
So when your choosing gear and batteries to power it you have to keep these things in mind, after 3-4 years factor the cost of a replacement battery into that GPS or camera if its lithium ion powered since you'll be down to the 80% capacity mark. Thats why I prefer AA powered over the lithium ion powered, besides eliminating the need for the dedicated charger and being able to swap and borrow batteries I can also go at least twice as long before needing battery replacement. I have some old Sanyo 1600mAh NiMH's from 2000 and 2001 that have just now reahed the 80% capacity mark and are now in kids toys replaced by eneloops in my important gear.