Ok, it's meant to be an inflation hedge. How does saving a couple hundred dollars worth of nickels hedge against inflation vs saving any other type of currency specifically? Hell, let's go crazy and stipulate that you've got thousands of dollars worth socked away in your 30 caliber ammo cans.

The only way that hoarding nickels is a hedge against anything is if they become worth more in value than the rate of inflation, given that the average person isn't going to or can't save enough in nickels to do anything with, where are they going to sell them or trade them pre or post apocalypse? Is there going to be a huge shortage of nickels in the future that no one is talking about? If there is, does it really matter?

As for the criminal aspects of reselling currency for scrap, if we're talking post apocalypse, I doubt that the Secret Service or the Treasury Dept. will have enforcing that law at the top of their agendas but even if they do, so what?

I'm really not trying to be argumentative, just trying to figure out the mindset of someone advocating saving boxes of nickels...vs something more tangible, like say, food for instance. Or fuel. Or almost anything else I can think of...

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen