Gents, I subscribe to Tactical Knives Magazine, and a gent named Dan Shechtman pens the Survival column there. He opines that through various means, you can loose or be separated from your pack or anything that is not "attached" to you. He recommends a "pocket-able" folding saw. I took this recommendation to heart and purchased a Silky Pocket Boy 170 (www.silkysaws.com), it is the largest model that will fit in a BDU thigh pocket. I has a comfortable orange rubber like handle (any handle in a given size series will fit any blade in that series) and I ordered a full selection of blades and spares of each. I'm still in the testing stage, trying to figure out what each blade design cuts what best, and to see if I can narrow it down to 1 or 2 blades that cover most of what I would need to cut. So far, it's a great saw, I'm very happy with it.
Between it, my PSK/PFAK, SAK, Leatherman Wave (Gen.I), lock back folder, a substantial fixed blade, Zippo and the K&M brass match safe with waxed strike anywheres, most or all of which can in some way be tied or affixed to me, I'll miss my pack as it floats down stream, but I'll not be without tools.
Regards, Jim

PS, you can order directly from Silky.

Edited by aligator (08/22/08 04:22 PM)