Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Call me crazy, but I would rather have a hatchet. Why, you ask? Because opposite the chopping edge I have a suitable hammer for pounding in tent stakes.

I do have a saw. It's just some cheapy that I got at Walmart. But my hatchet is my go-to tool for anything to tough for my knife.

I agree that a hatchet is handy, but it’s a tool that doesn’t allow for misjudgments in aim. I have one that I take camping, I find the saw faster for wood of 1-inch or bigger and the hatchet better for smaller wood.

Both are handy tools, but the saw is more forgiving and less dangerous to use.

When camping with my son (he’s 18-years old) I let him use the saws any time he wants, but I have a hard time letting him go with the hatchet. I do it, but every time I watch and remind him how to use it and make sure he does it in a way I feel is safe. At 18 you think you are invincible, ( I know I thought I was) you have to get old like me before you figure out this isn’t so. I guess that’s why the young are the ones to storm the beaches of the world, they are too dumb to know you can get killed.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.