Originally Posted By: dweste
Originally Posted By: red
Originally Posted By: thseng
Perhaps I'm stupid, but this whole thread seems to be based on the assumption that the OP cut branches from public land.

Ding-ding-ding! We have a winner! The debris shelter is on my land, and it is not illegal nor unethical nor evil for a family to practice shelter building on their OWN LAND.

What we continue to have here is a failure to communicate.

No assumption about public versus private land changes the debate in any significant way regarding what kids should be taught about cutting live branches of trees. In general, respect for the environment is respect for the environment.

The activity of shelter building can be entirely admirable. The debate is how should kids be taught to do it. I say, no live branches should be cut unless there is a great need, and kids should be taught why.

Teaching a kid how to make a shelter with a few live branches is no more going to make him an evil tree hacker on the 10 most wanted enviro-terrorist list then it is to say that teaching a kid how to start a campfire is going to go make him an arsonist that burns down houses. It’s silly to say or think this. Get a grip people!

It’s amazing how well the tree-huggers have infested mainstream people and made otherwise normal thinking people look at a person cutting a few branches as out to destroy the environment. Greenpeace has been very successful in programming how many of you think.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.