Originally Posted By: sockpuppet
Who are some of you guys kidding? At the best of times, even on a fishing trip when I take all my fishing tackle, hip waders, a 1000 dollar rod and a bloody dip net I can still go without getting a bite for a long time.
I had many similar experiences (minus 1000 dollar rod) of returning home emtpy handed.

Anyone who thinks they are going to land enough fish to live on with a couple of plain hooks and a few meters of line stuffed into a pill jar is smoking crack.(Good luck)..
Well said.

IMHO, if you are going to take any fishing gear then you might as well take something of quality. I pack a bunch of hooks in a small tackle bag about the size of a deck of cards. I include dry and wet flies, small spinners, a few NATO speed hooks, a large gaff hook, fake worms for bait, and at least 150 m of spiderline(20 lb). I don't always take it, but when I do feel the need, especially on longer trips I know it is adequate to do more than discourage me if I need it.

Funny thing is, you will have a far better chance of using the hooks and line to catch squirrels or birds than you will with fish most of the time. Bait some hooks with berries, bread or any other stuff and tie them to trees using wire rather than fishing line and around here a crow, magpie or gull will probably try to swallow your hand before you can even set the trap.
I agreed.

But in this context, the fishing kits must be practical & useable, so as to enhance your survival chances. Whether you can land any fish is another issue.

Edited by firefly99 (08/20/08 04:44 PM)