Originally Posted By: ironraven
the biggest role of a fishing kit is to keep you out of trouble and near a clear spot where air search can find you in the first three days.

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
I think I read somewhere that most survival situations don't last more than 72 hours.
I think it is a big mistake to prepare your survival kit or BOB for 72hours and expect help to come within that period. Seriously, in recent disasters such as NO floods, Burma flood, China earthquake, help or rescue teams took as long as 2 weeks or longer to reach disaster sites.

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
My fishing experience has taught me that you almost never come home with the same number of hooks that you left with.

Hooks are extremely lightweight and don't take up much space at all. I see no reason not to bring more than you think you might need, just in case. I have approximately 200 hooks, ranging from very small for panfish to very large for catfish.

The same applies to line. Several hundred yards of braided fishing line wrapped around a pencil weighs virtually nothing, so why not have it?
Totally agreed.

Originally Posted By: Angel
My survival fishing kit is all on my hat. I have a straw cowboy hat that I took the hatband off of. I took a small spool of firewire, I think it's about 25lb test. I wound it around where the hatband was and connected it in the back with reusable sinkers, to keep it from getting it tangled I put about 5 snap swivels on the line all the way around. On the inside of the hat band I put various sized hooks and taped them down. I put the hat band back on , covering the fishing line. On the front, I took a couple of feathered jigs and a small snap swivel and attatched them. It looks good and I have enough fishing supplies to actually do some good and it doesn't take up any room.
Very cool concept.

Edited by firefly99 (08/19/08 04:44 PM)