"Wow, can't believe US customs are actually patting down visitors and returning US citizens as though they were all common criminals."

Yes it was rather disturbing, I don't know if I just happened to be there at the right time when they were tipped off by something, or if it was a fluke thing or what but they were definably acting different than when I traveled many years ago. I don't travel international enough to know it this is a normal thing now or what and when I left it was with the wife and on the way back I came in solo (she's staying an extra week smile ). Also with me coming in solo as a white male traveling alone with a back pack with a water filter (never needed), purifier (used extensively), stainless steel water bottle and cup, first aid kit, poncho, rope,chargers, solar panel, gps, waterproof bags rated at 200 feet, and other things may have put some flags up as well. Nothing on my carry on was confiscated, just an item was stolen out of the checked luggage.

But the thing that gets me was that other people were treated as well and they were your typical run of the mill people, nothing out of the norm. And maybe they were acting on something for that day and my encounter may have been unique. I don't know?