First and formost do not panic if you don't have an elephant gun by tommorow. I did have an elephant gun once. Well, actually I carried it in Alaska for brown bears, but they never asked to borrow it. My L.A. raised, nicaraugan sister in law asked why I had an elephant gun. I said " Elephants keep walking on my roof at night." She became indignent. " You don't have elephants on your roof!"I said " SEE! it works!" A lot of survival kit is nice, but it's a lot like elephant guns. Do you really need a army surplus, field surgical kit in a web wallet or a dosimeter for fallout? First and foremost; take an inventory. $100 survival knife? Do you have a real nice HENKLES paring knife? Survival food? so buy a few extra cans of peaches and a can of coffee and sort of forget about them each shopping trip until you have this small cache.Toss a flashlight and some batteries back there. Possessions that are good enough for daily use are probably good enough in a pinch for a basic emergency. So DO NOT feel utterly unprepared.