In extensive discussion of the inflatable versus non-inflatable PFD, the positions and arguments are relatively clear. I think the most telling thing I read was again from the Cosst Guard Rescue Swimmer: for himself he had to wear an inflatable as did his helicopter crew - but only because he needed to be able to dive under water and the helicopter cabin was too tight to allow the crew any other type of pfd.

What did he put on his children when they were near the water? Nothing that depended on mechanical or chemical mechanism to inflate, nothing that could be punctured before or after deployment, nor anything that depended on the victim being able to pull a toggle or blow into an inflation tube as backup.

One key to dealing with hot weather is to insulate yourself. You know like long sleeves and pant legs - or a nice thick pfd. I live where it is routinely over the 100 degree mark in summer, sometimes with plenty of humidity and no cooling breezes. Stay hydrated, protect your skin and eyes and wear your pfd.

You are either going to wear a properly fitted and outfitted pfd or you are not. Hot weather or cold, you either wear the appropriate gear, or you do not. Supposed comfort over safety - your choice.

Edited by dweste (08/16/08 04:33 AM)