Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Not in our district. Pagers not even issued if you're in school. Also, you can't get a full Fire I cert unless you're 18 now - no live burn training, and no hydraulic tools for those under 18. Nevermid that these "kids" can kick my ass and are smarter than can be. They are "children".

On on hand I support and believe in professional training, standards and firm, simple rules.

But rushing toward an all-professional and adult FD when the manpower, or finances aren't in place to support it leaves gaps that put property and even the most professional firefighters at risk.

In building trades most states used to maintain what they termed the 'ratio'. The ratio of licensed journeymen and either helpers or apprentices. Three to one was popular. Which means you could have three unlicensed people for every one licensed.

Perhaps firefighters could benefit from a similar system. Perhaps a one to one ratio. One adult and fully trained firefighter for each underage or not fully trained one. Limit the age to above 16, good grades and having passed a basic training and practical application course.

Just an idea.

Of course, on the other side, the general thought in firefighting seems to be that buildings and property are expendable. Rebuild with insurance. Lives are more important and firefighters are not encouraged to take risks. In part because the cost of even a minor injury, or worse a serious injury or death, pretty much sinks the FD, possibly even the county, budget.

OT: IMHO this might change if the nation had national health care. The US pays twice, sometimes three times, what most western nations pay for the same treatments. This ripples through the economy and nation. What we have isn't working.