I used to buy the sams club packs of lithium but when since testing eneloops I've stopped buying them. I've put lithiums in a battery pack for a radio and eneloops in that sat for a year and had the same run time and I top off my eneloops ever 6 months now. I also have 10 year old traditional NiMH batteries (sanyo 1600mAH) so I'm confident that the enloops can match the 10year shelf life of lithiums. I'm testing my gear every 6 months if it doesn't get used (sring and fall) so my rechargeables get topped off then so if anything happens I get the same run time as lithiums but can recharge. I use chargers that can be powered by 12v so hook them to the truck or solar or whatever and I can re-charge and keep going.
Even if you only use lithiums or alkalines or hand crank whatever you should check/test/rotate supplies at regular intervals, medications, bandages, etc all need roatated too. So its a simple matter to top off the rechargeables or every couple years do a refresh cycle on the maha c9000 to check them for capacity. If you do keep alkailin backups buy a bulk pack every 6 months or so and rotate them out as well, thats how I minimize chances for leaks.

Edited by Eugene (08/12/08 12:41 PM)