Just for fun, with all this talk about flashlights, minimum lumens, etc., I decided to flip this question on its head. (See how I spend a vacation day?:))

My question is what's the minimum number of lumens the human eye can actually see? That's the flashlight I want! grin

We know the human eye can reliably respond to an input of 90 photons arriving irregularly or a single photon arriving regularly, which we'll say reasonably corresponds to our definition of a flashlight. (D.A. Baylor, T.D. Lamb, K.W. Yau, "Response of retinal rods to single photons." Journal of Physiology, Lond. 288, 613-634. 1979.)

So, how to translate that to lumens?

Small numbers of photons will be detected scotopically by the rods in your eyes (as opposed to the cones), and each rod has a diameter of approximately 0.002mm, giving each an area of 0.0063mm^2.

Now, let's consider a 1 photon flashlight, sure to be coming to a store near you real soon now. (Can we get a Doug Ritter model???)

We'll suppose the photon has a frequency of 540nm, which would make it "greenish" on a larger scale.

Then, the rod would have an incidence of 2.39x10^13 photons per second per lumen. Working backwards, we have that a single rod can detect 4.18x10^-14 lumens, assuming the flashlight were outputing one photon/second.

And there ya go. So keep yer fancy 200 lumen lights! I'll be more than satisfied with my 0.00000000000004177 lumen model! grin grin grin (It probably runs for 100,000 years on a single battery. And if you're willing to use a radioactive battery, it can run for millions of years on a single "charge." Try that with your Surefire!)

Edited by Fitzoid (08/11/08 05:21 PM)