Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
...the eggs are very cheap to acquire and they HAVE NOT GOT ANY NASTIES TO START WITH...

Careful, Martin, that's not quite true. You can end up with internally Salmonella-infected eggs because the hen's ovaries were infected. Not very common, but common enough for the CDC to have a webpage about it.

And how do they get the Salmonella?
Could it be because they are stacked up on top of one another in tight cages with shtuff raining down on their bodies 24/7 until they drop dead??

Look, I don't take unnecessary chances, by any means. For years, I have had very little trust in the mass food production system and I've been a locavore since before the term was even coined. I've been raising and eating my own poultry and eggs for years, I've been buying cows & milk and other foods from local farms where I know the folks (and right now, the cow). I get a couple of deer every year, we eat less than a 1/4 cow a year, some bacon and a little fish.
My point here is that you CAN trust your food - if you know your food sources. Even urban folks could do better to get to know the sources of their food. Farm markets, buying cooperatives and local food markets are all reasonable alternatives. Yes, it's more expensive. So I don't buy Doritos and Soda, and with the money I save there, I can afford $5.00 a gallon milk I buy from a person who I know and who lets us come visit the cow that's giving us our milk.
The butter that started all of this comes from a local farmer who sells in a few local shops. He's a hoot. He won't sell skim milk - it's "suitable for pig slop, not human consumption" he says.

To tie this back to LTP, which is the crux of this, part of my LTP is having a relationship with the people and animals which bring me food. Not only do I have an economic relationship that is mutually beneficial with these folks, I have a long history with my local "supply chain" that is not at all dependent on any national-scale food processing infrastructure, and in many ways is my version of an "emergency food supply".