I would guess this somewhat more common with older folks because they are partaking of medical procedures in a place that is infested with germs, the hospital, or at least my heart doctor said, there are more germs in a hospital then almost anyplace else. And that they are frailer and more vulnerable to infections. Also the doctors are playing it safe and trying to not get sued so they load them up with antibiotics.

I agree antibiotics are overused.

But for a vast majority of people, were are able to fight off germs fine without them.

I recently was stupid and tried to take part of my right index finger off with a 10-inch table saw. . I cut ½ way through my finger from the top. I lost ¼ of my nail.

All I did to take care of it was to go wash it off with water from the garden hose and wrap it in a paper towel and continue to work on my project. Later that evening I put some ointment on it and a gauze pad on it. No infection and it’s slowly growing back most of the fingernail. Had I went to the hospital they would have made me sit for 2-hrs, loaded me up with antibiotics, put gauze on it and charged a few hundred dollars. It would have looked the same as it does now.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.