Originally Posted By: Joy
There is also the "Butter Boat." It works a little differently then the Butter Bell. The butter never comes in contact with the water. You can add crushed ice on hot days. You might give it a try. Here are a couple websites that show what it is.

Dang, someone gave us this butt ugly butter boat and it never occurred to me to put crushed ice in it. Now I'm going to feel some compulsion to keep it.

I live in Texas and we leave the butter out all the time. In a covered glass dish, usually stored in a glass fronted cabinet. Of course, a quarter pound of butter doesn't last too long. You guys are talking about 3 weeks, must be for a full pound block. Thats part of the reason we use the quarter pound ones. Doesn't go rancid in 2 days.

I just found a source for raw milk, I'm very happy about it. And I bought some chickens from the guy and yesterday I got my first egg.

Does anyone know how long an fresh-laid egg will last without refrigeration? I'm talking about a practical minimum, the eggs are too cheap to take any risks on... I am really looking forward to taking some of my eggs when I go backpacking.